Date: 7/2/2021 11:00 AM
Hurricane Elsa Update
John Knox Village is actively monitoring Hurricane Elsa which is located 5 miles north of St. Vincent and 675 miles east/southeast of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Elsa is moving west/northwest at 29 mph with maximum sustained winds currently at 75 mph.
Hurricane Watches and Warnings have been issued for the islands of St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, portions of Haiti and the Dominican Republic as well as Jamaica.
Tropical Storm Warnings are in effect for Barbados, Martinique, Dominica, the southern coast of Dominican Republic, the coast of Haiti north of Port Au Prince and Jamaica.
The National Hurricane Center continues to estimate the most likely arrival of tropical storm-force winds for our area to be Monday evening, July 5. If you haven’t done so, it is a good idea to assemble your hurricane supply kit in preparation for severe weather:
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Pet Food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery