Date: 7/1/2021 3:00 PM
Tropical Storm Elsa Update
John Knox Village is actively monitoring Tropical Storm Elsa which is located about 600 miles east/southeast of the Windward Islands. Elsa is moving rapidly west/northwest at 28 mph with maximum sustained winds currently at 45 mph.
The National Hurricane Center is estimating the most likely arrival of tropical storm-force winds for our area to be as early as Monday morning, July 5. If you haven’t done so, it is a good idea to assemble your hurricane supply kit in preparation for severe weather:
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Pet Food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Don’t miss celebrating America, The 4th of July Show which will be both live and recorded on July 4 from the Barker Center Auditorium.
Trash will be picked up on Monday, July 5.